Date Posted: April 2013
As I learn my way through this process of sharing through social media, wanted to quickly share a few facts about me here:
1. Born in Malaysia and raised in South East Asia primarily in the city I call my hometown, Hong Kong, even though I have resided in the States the longest both on the East coat (NYC) and currently West coast (San Francisco area).
2. Attended a liberal arts college in Vermont (Middlebury College, US News ranks it at #4 on their top ten liberal arts colleges in the US, where I majored in Political Science). I am compelled to note this as my whole family attended Ivy League Schools both under and post grad and so I am often asked why Middlebury and my response with a smile is, “it’s the best school where I was accepted” so I often like to point-out it is on ‘a list’ :).
3. Joined Bloomingdale’s Management Training Program upon graduation and spent my career in retail management and buying with various companies ranging from The Gap to Ferragamo and a Hong Kong based Department Store with international travel.
4. Met and married the father of my two children ages 16 and almost 19 years soon after graduation.
5. Took 9 months to get pregnant with first child and was diagnosed with postpartum depression when she was 1 1/2 years old.
6. After settling into motherhood and overcoming PPD (postpartum depression), my 2nd child was born when 1st was 3 1/2 years old.
7. Enrolled children in every imaginable activity, joined playgroups and volunteered at their respective schools.
8. Upon our arrival to our current hometown of Los Altos, CA (Bay Area), my family urged me to take a break in the day to do something for myself. I had a 2 hour break.
9. In December 2007, I stepped into a fitness facility which upon reflection was a defining moment in my life (I had no idea at the time but it’s pivotal to where I am today).
10. Flash forward to today, I can not imagine a life without exercise. When I stepped into the fitness facility, being known simply as Debbie and not Mom of or wife to, is where and when I realized the power of regaining one’s identity as a Mom. Fitness became something that others looked to me for advice and where I found another purpose.
11. As I tried-out classes, what I had learned from personal training sessions became apparent as other instructors started asking where I taught when I was just a student and participant in their class.
12. I contemplated teaching and then it became a dream 2 years ago as I couldn’t imagine standing in front and leading a 45-60 minute continuous class counting, cueing, showing and motivating!! I have yet to teach a perfect class as all instructors know, a perfect class doesn’t exist :).
13. How I got from dream to reality was learning how to teach from my favorite instructor at the kickboxing facility where I had been a member and where my passion for fitness developed from struggling with attending two personal training session per week to religiously attending at least 4-5 classes per week.
14. I subbed and demo’d and persisted with any and every contact at every facility I could think of in the area until I was offered an opportunity to volunteer at a Y and soon after was hired at a private facility then hired by 3.
15. After a few years at the cardio kickboxing facility and two years teaching, I found my way to another facility (fate in my favor) where I had no intention of joining but where I am today.
16. The facility is another home to me…and truly is a community of like-minded individuals who live the lifestyle of health and fitness. I am so grateful for the timing and fortune to have found my way towww.fns360.com.
17. On August 23, 2019, I remarried my someone who accepts, embraces, and loves me for ME. I am grateful and thankful for him and our life together.
17. On July 17, 2020, my ex and beloved father of my children passed unexpectedly due to a sudden cardiac arrest. Our lives are forever changed as we move forth in the world without him today.
Date Posted: September 2011
Recently group fitness certified, I am an avid cardio kickboxing student (4 years-to-date) and TRX fan and have completed 6 half marathons and shorter distance runs. Cardio kickboxing is my passion which I have personally reaped the benefits of increased stamina, endurance and strength. Realizing that cardio, strength and diet are all essential components to one’s health, I hope to inspire family and friends to share in my journey towards a healthier and fitter lifestyle.
After being a full-time Mother for almost ten years, I am excited to embark on another phase of life and a 2nd career to help motivate, empower and to inspire others (especially Moms’ my age) to fulfill their fitness and health goals.
These were/are the goals I set for myself:
1. Enter and complete a short distance race (I started with a 5K then 10K and then half marathons with a full marathon as my next goal).
2. Become an instructor (I am group fitness certified, learned a class outline and have taught 6 classes).
3. Get added to a regular group fitness schedule (I am currently demo’ing and auditioning to see how I like teaching and if there is a fit).
4. Lose some weight gained after 2 children and a more sedentary lifestyle but I tried not to make it my primary goal (weight loss occurred over a year and has been maintained).
5. To inspire other women of my generation to find their passion and to “go for it” (by starting a blog….)